Friday 6 May 2016

Systers- A sisterhood

Systers is a forum for women who love computing. It's open for women of all ages who are into technical world. It was founded by Anita Borg with 12 other women as small mailing list. Then it grew up into a big team with the support and cooperation of other women.
The motto of the community is “increase the number of women in computer science and make the environments in which women work more conducive to their continued participation in the field.”


My experience with Systers
As an organization that take effort to bring more women into the world of computing, I am very proud to be a part of it. My relationship with Systers started as a GSoC-2016 intern. The community has always been so active with instant replies on Slack channel and showed keen interest in solving issues. They value even our small contribution very much.


I started with small bug fixes in Volunteer Management Sytem- a Django application that developed to manage the volunteers in Systers community. To get done with my first bug wasn’t easy. Struggled to understand the code base and documentation. Eventually, when the patch was merged and when I got to see the trivial contribution that I made, it was pure joy. And that’s how I started contributing to Systers.

No comments:

Post a Comment