Friday 26 August 2016

Vote of thanks

GSoC 2016 was a great experience and learning. My project was migration of Volunteer Management System from existing Function based views to Class based views. Considering various advantages of shifting to CBV, I proposed the migration for all the apps in VMS to be a Google Summer of Code 2016 project.
In this post, I would like to tell about my motivation for doing GSoC with Systers, and how I got in with the team!
To start with, I thank the FOSS club of our University,  FOSS@Amrita, which helped me all the way from day one. It is a student community at Amrita University that encourage, support and mentor students to improve their technical and social skills through contributing to Open Source. We had 10 selects from our college for GSoC 2016, which shows the strength and determination of our team. As a result, Amrita University, Amritapuri Campus was ranked tenth in the total number of GSoC selections for this round, and the whole credit goes to the team.

In the club, we not-only sit and code, but take part in various activities like hosting conferences, conducting workshops for school and college students, hackathons and all kind of stuff. The exposures and opportunities that one can get here is unlimited. I cannot end this post without mentioning some names who supported and motivated me throughout the project.
Tony Thomas who was a trigger and a reason for me to start with Python-Django.
Tapasweni Pathak, Nida Sahar- wonderful mentors I could ever get
and some of the club mentors and well wishers, like:
Br. Biju Kumar, who gave me my first python-django project and a lab to work upon
Mr. Vipin Pavithran, who guides the FOSS club students with Mr. Bithin Alangot

Though I couldn’t perform as expected due to unexpected change of locations, they really supported me knowing my situation. They were so understanding and supportive. I thank everyone for the guidance and support they have given.

No comments:

Post a Comment